Remodelled Lekan Salami Stadium Still An Ongoing Project-Oyo Govt •Says Alaafin, Olubadan Not Stopped From Entering During Unveiling
The Oyo State government has explained that there is still work in progress on the remodelled Lekan Salami Stadium is an ongoing project, adding that the contractor is yet to hand the project.
The government made the explanation following criticisms in some quarters over the rainwater that flooded the pitch during an international friendly during the unveiling of the main bowl of the stadium on Wednesday evening.
This was as the Governor Seyi Makinde-led administration declared as untrue the report that two first class traditional rulers, the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III and the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji, Aje Ogungunniso I, were stopped from entering the Stadium Complex during the unveiling.
The state government, in a release by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr Taiwo Adisa, said it would take three months for the pitch to solidify in order to make the automatic drainage system to become functional.
The governor’s media aide said the unveiling became necessary so as to enable the Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) returns to Ibadan, having been playinh their matches outside the state for so long owing to absence of a good pitch in Ibadan.
“Besides, the pitch as seen on Wednesday, is work in progress because the contractor has not handed over the project to the state government.
“The contractor had explained that the pitch needed three more months to fully solidify so that the automatic drainage system would become fully functional.
“But the unveiling had to be done to ensure that our darling Shooting Stars Sports Club returns to Ibadan, having been forced to play their matches outside the state for so long owing to absence of a good pitch in Ibadan.
“The contractor has given his assurance to address the challenges of the pitch and, by the time the works are completed, Oyo State would definitely have the value for its money, which has always been the priority and intention of Governor Makinde,” he release stated.
On the alleged barring of both the Alaafin of Oyo and the Olubadan of Ibadan from entering the Lekan Salami Stadium Complex, the statement read that the two foremost royal fathers were too important to the state government to be prevented from attending the event, to which they had been duly invited.
It added that seats of the traditional rulers were already reserved, and that the government valued their presence.
“The inability of the monarchs to gain access into the main bowl was because of the huge enthusiastic crowd that swarmed on the stadium and obstructed the movement of the monarchs’ convoys to the designated VVIP Drop Off zone, which was the easiest channel to their reserved seats.
“What happened was that security operatives advised that the drivers of the revered monarchs make their way through another gate, since their convoys were unable to access the VVIP Drop Off Zone from the gate they entered through.
“From the VVIP Drop Off Zone, it would be easy for the monarchs to access the VVIP box without meandering through the stairs, as that would have unduly stressed them given their age.
“It is unthinkable that some individuals would try to create a wedge between the palaces of the respective monarchs and the state government, which holds them in high esteem,” the statement read.
Adisa noted that all other traditional rulers who were inside the VVIP Box, including the Olugbon of Ile Igbon, Aseyin of Iseyin, the Okere of Saki, the Olu of Igboora were well recognised.
“This was an evidence that the government places huge premium of respect on the stools of our forebears as occupied by the Kabiyesis.
“His Excellency, Governor Seyi Makinde wishes to categorically state that the Alaafin and the Olubadan were well-expected at the event and that their seats were reserved.
“The government frowns on reports indicating that the convoys of the revered monarchs were not treated accordingly and would take appropriate steps to correct any untoward indication,” the statement added.
The statement cautioned those it described as “fake news mongers”, who were seeking avenues to punctuate the glorious event at the Lekan Salami Stadium by circulating bad news.
“For instance, some online reports claimed that the Aseyin of Iseyin was not allowed entry. That is very far from the truth. The Aseyin was inside the stadium and he stayed throughout the event.
“It is instructive that the Kabiyesi has come out to clarify that falsehood and also adduce reasons, which could have been responsible for the inability of the Alaafin of Oyo and Olubadan of Ibadanland to gain access into the Stadium.
“Some of the mischief makers also alleged that former Governor Rashidi Ladoja boycotted the event and, this too, is a big lie, as the Osi Olubadan attended and gave a goodwill message at the event.
“We can only advise mischief makers and fake news carriers to stop their ploys, as no antic would work against the good intentions of the governor and the positive impact that the remodelling of the once-neglected Lekan Salami Stadium has made on Oyo State.”
The governor’s media aide equally described as misguide attempts to rubbish the stadium project by some opposition elements.
He said the claim that only the stadium cost N5 billion was untrue and mischievous, adding that the amount being touted was for the cost of fixing the entire sports complex, which is in phases.
“Some critics have attempted to blow the cost of fixing the Lekan Salami Stadium, Adamasingba out of proportion, especially in view of the water that logged on sections of the pitch due to heavy rain.
“Let it be placed on record that the main bowl of the stadium was only the first phase of the entire project which comes in phases.
“There is the main bowl, the gymnasium and indoor sports hall for a variety of sporting activities, a world class Tennis court as well as the luxury apartments which will be given out on annual subscription,” Adisa said.