Army Headquarters Debunks Attack On UN Base

Army Headquarters Debunks Attack On UN Base
.Troops Foil Boko Haram Attempt To Attack Borno Community
The Nigerian Army Headquarters has described as false and sensational the report on the social media that a group of terrorists attacked the United Nations’ Base in Borno State.
As contained in a release by the Director of Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Mohammed Yerima, there was also no trapping of 25 aid workers, as reported by some media outlet.
“The Army Headquarters wishes to debunk the unsubstantiated reports on social media suggesting that the terrorists attacked UN Base in Borno, trapping 25 aid workers, as published by some outlets.
“Those false and sensational reports are clearly aimed at stirring up tension in the region and diminishing the glaring efforts and sacrifices of the Nigerian military in the fight against insurgency,” the release stated.
However, the Nigerian Army spokesman confirmed that the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole routed some elements of Boko Haram and the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) who attempted to infiltrate and attack Dikwa Town in Dikwa Local Government Area of Borno State.
Brigadier General Yerima, in the release, said the two terrorist groups stormed the town in an unconfirmed number of gun trucks and motorcycles.
However, “they were visited with heavy bombardment and overwhelming firepower by troops of 81 Task Force Battalion, with reinforcement from other formations of the Nigerian Army and aided by air support of Air Task Force Operation Lafiya Dole.
“The terrorists attempted to invade the town to loot food items and other logistics, having got wind of the recent food distribution to residents of the town by the state governor, Professor Babagana Zulum.
“They came in their droves through the Marte axis but could not gain access to the town due to the combat readiness of troops who were positioned there.
“The terrorists subsequently lost initiative as they were cut off completely following the recent successful recapture of Marte Town by the gallant troops.
“In desperation and to scare off residents from returning to their homes, they planted series of landmines on the roads which were also detected and successfully detonated by troops,” the release stated.
Brigadier General Yerima said the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Major General Ibrahim Attahiru, commended the efforts of the troops and the prompt response of the Air Task Force in providing air interdictions throughout the operation.